Thursday 13 April 2017

Airbrushing miniatures and when it can be bad. A rant about warhammer, painting and stuff.

So I was painting these figures again back in 2014. I have painted miniatures for most of my adult life with large breaks.

The stuff I painted in 2014 was airbrush  heavy. I had just got into painting again and in retrospect I was so enamored with the way the airbrush applied highlights and shade I couldn't really be arsed to use a brush at all. My miniatures look nice on display, bright colours and are acceptable "good" paint jobs. In the flesh under the human eye....
 Now as soon as you look through a magnifying lens or photograph they are total fucking garbage. Like washes running all over, missing paint, Missed details... My miniatures are 5/10 at best.

I realize now either my eyes are fucked OR I had been doing something seriously wrong..

Too much tech.
Airbrush, clear paints, texture paints, washes, application sponges, thinners, mediums, brushes, palettes, More paints, smaller nozzles, special paints.. The list goes on.

I have never really been creatively artistic. I can follow guides and "paint" by numbers as such but have always felt a need to express creativity - figure painting was something that fitted the bill.
 That being said - there is an issue therein. I have never been taught or read any of the "basics" any painter should be aware of.

COLOUR THEORY...
I kinda knew this was a thing but being a lazy sod I never bothered to read anything about it until very very recently.
You can paint a model as neat as a boss but if you pick red and green its going to clash like a bitch. A little understanding of colour theory is essential if you want to create good paint schemes.
I had no idea - I would look at average painted models and think "THAT LOOKS FUCKING ACE" and then think.. But mine are neater, with better highlights.... WHY IS THAT BETTER?

Colour theory is the answer.

I have perhaps 100 - 150 pots of paint. I have maybe 50 brushes... I have THOUSANDS of unpainted and often rare miniatures. The ones I have painted I often strip as I am not satisfied with the paint job....

I have HAD too much shit.

I have stored most of the paints and models away. I have a selection of basic paints and if I need a certain colour I will check my stash and get it and add it to my current selection.
This helps me be organized and remember exactly what shades I am using.
I have 3 brushes and invested in 1 Newton & Winsor series 7 size 2. I use the airbrush for undercoats, and zenithal highlighting NOT for every job I can. The airbrush is a great tool but overusing it makes for shit paint jobs in all honesty.

Back to Basics.
With my kit being stripped to basics I took my style back to basics. I would often spend hours highlighting, washing, layering standard rank and file models using so much different technique it all became lost and honestly a fucking jumbled up mess.
I have found my models look better with a super solid base coat chosen from the colour wheel using a basic complimentary colour scheme. The face requires more attention with the eyes being the focus of the entire model.
I know the above is basic shit to the accomplished painter, but I only wish someone would have told me that a few years ago!
To be updated soon with some basic but hopefully better models.

No comments:

Post a Comment